How to build a hive monitoring system.
Desktop, laptop or Raspberry Pi will work. We seem to be moving to a standard model based on the Raspberry Pi: a solar powered, wi-fi connected, web appliance.
AC power is the least expensive but not the safest, nor does it provide lightning protection. Use a Ground Fault Interrupter (GFI) and make sure the AC connections are well taped up and waterproof or the GFI will trip when it rains.
Solar power will nearly double the cost of the system and requires more work in wiring the power supply and battery charger. The cost of the battery and solar panel can be reduced by minimizing the system's power consumption.
- Build a scale based on the Pi and HX711 (latest).
- Build a scale based on the Pi and HX711 (old).
- Build a scale based on the Pi and PhidgetBridge AD7193.
- Solar Design construction notes.
- How to load hivetool on the Pi provides detailed software installation instructions.
- Scale Communication Help.
- User Manual for the Model A POE. Developed for the South Carolina Hive Instrumentation Project
- Troubleshooting Guide